Friday, October 30, 2009

RMD (Rehearsal Meltdown)? Almost!

At The Rehearsal Gathering with The Candyman!

So the day before the wedding was so crazy, but all in a good way. First on the list was picking up the MOH and then The Dress. Then we stopped by J. Bangs Salon to get my hair blown out. It needed a good day of dirt in it for it to stay up the next day. Then the MOH and I had a little down time at Venetian Nail Spa. It's my go-to place for mani-pedi's, for sure. Now I've never had a bad experience there, but I swear I got the worst lady there on the day before my wedding. She had to redo my toes as there was polish all over my skin. Um, hello? Getting married. With super cute shoes. The toes need to look good, lady. I was slightly annoyed, but not too much. It was just nice to hang with the MOH and have hot water on my feet. That feels gooooood.

I had to run the MOH back to the hotel and then go home and change for the rehearsal, dinner and gathering. I hadn't seen or talked to The Candyman ALL DAY and I was really missing him for some reason. I called him, hoping he'd be at home when I got there. He answered saying, "You're driving home the back way, aren't you?" Me, "Um, yeah. How did you know?" He said, "I just passed you. I'm going to pick up my brothers." Nooooooooooooo! I was so sad he wasn't going to be at the house!

I got there, knew I was running about 10 minutes late and had to throw myself into the ensemble. You know how when you're in a hurry and nothing is working? Yeah, it was one of those moments. I had forgotten to put these petal things in my shoes and I couldn't get into the damn package. It was like Superman-plastic or something. I ripped it open with my brute strength and one of the petal things goes flying across the room and DISAPPEARS! So I'm crawling around on the floor on my hands and knees in a pair of Spanx and nothing else, looking for this damn shoe insert thing. Yeah. Go ahead. Just try and erase that visual. Just try.

So I get all dressed, my make up is on and I want to put my hair back some, just to keep it out of my face. I start to put it back and my hands are totally shaking. My hair is also super slippery, and I just can't keep a hold of it. Try and try as I might, I can't get my hair to do an effing thing. I start to get super flustered and am about to cry. I am shaking so bad and my nerves were just SHOT. I decided to screw the hair and wear it down. The thing is, when my hair is straight and down, I can't ever stop touching it. It always feels so good, that I'm just constantly pushing it around and playing with it. I didn't really want to be distracted by my hair at the rehearsal, but it was either that or a total WPM right before the rehearsal.

I got to the chapel and everyone was already there. Funny thing is, I had the key and no one could get in! Figures I'd be late to my own wedding rehearsal.

The Candyman, cutting up. Tabitha will have none of that.

The Candyman clutching on me!

The rehearsal went well, everyone knew what to do and we called it a wrap. We sent the families off to do their own thing and The Candyman and I headed to The Park Cafe for dinner. We gave each other our wedding presents, which I will reveal in a later post, because they are both totally post-worthy. We had a fabulous dinner, but in no time, the hour had come to head to the Rehearsal Gathering. We walked in to all of our friends and family, gathered in one spot!

My brother and his wife.

My Mom and DC Michele.

So, here's the crappy part. I had scheduled this little shindig at Aloft Hotel months ago. I also had a block of rooms there. Sadly, not a lot of people stayed there. I have no idea why, it's just how it all shook out. A few days before, I had received an email from Aloft sales team asking for a final number so that they could properly staff the bar. I told them between 40-60 people. Or maybe I told them between 40-50 people. An any rate, an average of 50 people. I'm thinking maybe 60 or so showed up, counting local pals who weren't invited to the wedding.

They only had ONE bartender. ONE. There were people at one end of the bar who had to wait an HOUR for a damn drink. I was furious. I approached the lady at the counter to complain. She told me that the manager was trying to get someone in . Still, 20 minutes later - nothing. I went back again and complained. She said the manager was working on it. This woman ended up behind the bar in order to help, but she wasn't of age and couldn't serve. Big help that was.

The thing is, the ONE bartender sucked. Hard. I only had one drink the entire night and that's only because someone got it for me, demanding a glass of wine for THE BRIDE.

I have been a bartender. I have been a waitress. I have been a retail manager. I know what being in the weeds is all about. This dude was so far under, there was no way he was going to get out. He also had no idea how to work a bar.

After I had approached the desk twice, a friend took over the task of "dealing" so that I could be with my guests. A second bartender never appeared. As a manager/server/bartender I was furious at the lack of service or acknowledgment at Aloft. I called them after the wedding and before we left for the honeymoon and spoke with the hotel manager.

While I got an OK apology, the guy actually said to me, "Well, for a party of 50, we normally wouldn't schedule more than one bartender." Um, what? You have 50 people, all coming in at once, who will all want cocktails at once and you don't even schedule a bar-back? I'm sorry, but that's the most fucking insane thing I've ever heard, especially when it was clear that bartender had no idea what he was doing. Even if that is their scheduling policy - at least lie to me about it. The manager lamely asked me if he could "do something" for me, but really what could he? Offer me a free hotel night? No thanks, I live here. The damage was done. I was irritated and most importantly, embarrassed that my guests were unable to properly enjoy themselves because of their poor planning.
After I got back from the honeymoon, I was stewing on it a little more and decided further action was needed. I wrote a letter to their corporate office. I've received an email saying that it was received and that I would have resolution within 5 days. We're on day two. I'll keep you updated.
The sad thing is, people there wanted to PARTY. I mean, folks wanted to get their drink on and no one could get a freakin' cocktail! I wonder how much money they lost that night.

Here's one my friend's kids who pooped out early that night. I couldn't resist the shot. And this is my sentiment towards Aloft Hotel right now. Boo on them.

I did pull her little dress down afterward. No girl wants her panties showing, regardless of how old she is!




4 comments:

  1. I pictured you (or anyone) crawling around the floor in your spanx and I laughed out loud at my cube. Hilarious post as usual. Loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, our daughter could care less about her underwear showing. She was elated to crash and watch a movie ... underwear and all.

    You looked fabulous that night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last a picture of me! I was beginning to wonder if I was really there.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been as annoyed as you! 1 bartender for 50 ppl?!?! that's absolutely ridiculous. i hope that they do something for u. keep us in the loop.

    ReplyDelete