Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Best Lotion Ever

As a kid, I had horrid skin. Simply horrid. It was dry, painfully so. I also had lovely patches of eczema at the insides of my elbows, behind my knees, my wrists - just about any place I could bend.

For a while, the doctors thought I was allergic to water and I was only allowed to take a water bath once a week. Other days I had to use Cetaphil to "wash." Ever meet a 5 year old who wanted to bathe? That was me!

At any rate, it turns out I was allergic to lanolin as well as citric acid (lemonade, ketchup, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, kiwi, tomatoes, etc.). I've outgrown most of these allergies, but I still can't touch anything with lanolin in it. It gives me the skeeves as well as "itchies" (what I used to call my eczema patches).

I used to use this awesome and awesomely expensive lotion called Ala Derm. You can buy it here. I used to buy it by the case. I switched to the cheaper Lubriderm several years ago.

Then a couple months ago, my friend Kathy came to visit and brought me a sample of her "homemade" lotion and I've been using this ever since. It's awesome, I swear. Here's the recipe:
  • 1 bottle baby lotion (any brand), 15 oz.
  • 1 small tub petroleum jelly (the 1.75 oz size, about 2 tablespoons)
  • 1 4 oz jar Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E Lotion (use this brand!)
Photo courtesy of Amazon.

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, if you have it. Otherwise, just mix with a hand-mixer for several minutes. You need to make sure the petroleum jelly is really mixed in well. You can spoon some of it back into the vitamin E tub. I put it all in a Tupperware container.

If I had a bigger bridal party, I'd definitely be making this, putting it into cute containers and giving them as gifts. I might still do it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just subscribed to your blog and this post had me laughing. I think we're "skin twins". I had the exact same allergies as you growing up! No citric acid so none of the good fruits! And my mom was told not to let me hang out in the water for too long either! I will have to give your lotion recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete