Friday, June 5, 2009

Dia De Los Muertos

Otherwise known as Day of the Dead.

From Wikipedia:

"The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on the 2nd of November in connection with the Catholic holiday of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day which take place on those days. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts."

The Candyman's mother died of cancer when he was only 11 years old. I keep trying to get him to honor her at our wedding in some way. He doesn't seem really excited about any of my ideas. I can understand that.

I went shopping for a birthday present for him last week at a great shop in Nashville called Pangea. While I didn't find anything for him, I did find our awesome new cake toppers!


They were only $5 each and I just KNEW The Candyman would love them. He did! I didn't really know much about Dia De Los Muertos until after I bought these and looked it up online. Perhaps this is the quiet way to honor The Candyman's mom without announcing her absence in a program or prayer.

I think they make a cute couple, albeit slightly morbid. Just like us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment