Monday, July 6, 2009

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.

I've made a commitment that scares the hell out of me, probably more than saying "Yes!" to The Candyman. I just bought 105 bud vases, 15 from Target and 90 from C&B Outlet (they are having a sale - limited quantities).

I spoke with my florist Angela and she thinks it's a great idea. The idea actually came from several sources, but the best picture I can come up with is from Budget Savvy Bride's recent wedding. She was a crafty little DIY bride and had this as her tablescape:

Photo by Evin Photography
Super cute, right?

So what's keeping me from doing my own, unique version of this? I've been stressing and stressing about what kinds of centerpieces to do and how it would hit my budget - hard. My florist is really awesome and the arrangements were coming out to be about $45 each (which is really good) and that was putting my reception flowers at $585-$900, depending on how many tables I'll end up with. That seems like too much to me, especially since we're having some flowers at the church and all the bouquets and such. I think that $45 might have been with me supplying the floral container too. I was actually hoping (and planning) to find something amazing overseas, but that was not the case.

So this is what I bought online and at Target today.

I bought 15 of these at Target for $.99 each, originally $1.99. Photo is actually from C&B Outlet.

I bought 30 of these from C&B Outlet on sale, 6 for $9.00 (regular $17.70!).

Bought 30 of these for the same deal as above.
Ditto here, 6 for $9.00!

So all told, I got 105 vases for $1.63 each. I think that's a pretty good deal, AND my florist says she'd be interested in buying the bud vases from me after the wedding. SWEET! We talked about her getting the flowers at cost for me and I could do the arranging myself, which is an option, but one I know friends and family might not encourage me to do. However, even if we put $4 of flowers in each vase (about 2-3 roses, for example), that comes out to $420, which is already less than the $585 I've got budgeted for the low end number of arrangements. I could mix mums and garden roses and gerberas in with fern curls to keep with the ivory/sandalwood/chocolate brown theme. I've also got a call into Carlin at Mere Bulles as they hook up their tables with plain glass votives and tea lights, if brides want them. If I have a smattering of various sized vases and flowers mixed in with tea lights, well, I think that would be just pretty as all hell.

I can see it all in my head, I just have no idea how it's all going to play out. I'm totally freaked. Comments from the bridal gallery, please!



8 comments:

  1. I am doing bud vases too! Little milk glass bud vases. Have your florist do it! As we get closer to the date you need to back away from doing too much yourself if you are anything like me...a total control freak detail freak. :) See if your florist will work with you...I am doing lots of "sticks" with more "fillers" to bring the cost down of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the same - votive candles and bud vases for the reception tables. I picked up Anchor Hocking "Stars & Bars" vases. Yours look great! Very mod. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great score on the vases! Also, check your local Dollar Store if you need more. I got a dozen large glass vases for a buck each! You can probably find bud vases too... the goods change all the time.

    I concur with not trying to DIY - unless you are feeling calm and are somewhat familiar with flower arranging. You'll just stress yourself out when you could be hanging with friends & fam. Maybe there's a friend or two who could take this on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the DIY. Why not assign someone (or a few people) this job? You could walk them through your vision and they can execute that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise, If we do a run through for your approval, I can mass produce. Unless I am needed to watch the girl and the boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the BSB blog, her wedding was beautiful! And I'm totally loving your vision for the centerpieces. What a deal you got on the vases and you'll be able to sell them after the wedding to get some of the cost back. I can't wait to see more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! I'm doing it too....random vintage jars with random flowers.... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete