Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Viva La 80's!

OK, now I feel really famous! My old high school friend Mike Albo is a writer in New York. He's written a few books and often writes for different magazines and newspapers. He's also a performance artist. I had a MAD crush on the guy when I was a freshman and he was a sophomore. We were in the same geometry class. Nothing ever came of the mad crush, but I always enjoyed his company. We found each other on the Internet a few years back when I stumbled across a copy of his book in a local bookstore ("Hey, look at this book! The author is Mike Albo! I wonder if it's the same Mike I went to high school with?" Yes, indeed.) and read it cover to cover in a day. It was somewhat autobiographical, so I could identify with lots of parts of the story. I tried to figure out who was who, exactly. Good times. Anyway, he writes lots of reviews and here's one he wrote recently. SO LOVE that I got a freakin' call out in The New York Times!!! Check it out!


Viva La 80's!

The Thirty-Something Bride circa 1985, loved the single dangle earring. I believe the ensemble was from the ever-hip Foxmoor.

Circa 1986, rockin' the Robert Smith 'do. Note the little frizz of hair on my shoulder? Yup, killer long tail is what that is. You're jealous, you know you are. Sweater by Krizia, a staple designer at The Limited, back in the day.

Circa 1987, sporting a more angst-ridden Ally Sheedy-style. I do miss that watch. The shirt was my first-ever purchase from Urban Outfitters (do not ask me how I remember this) and the pants were from The Limited. I worked there for two years. I had a bad-ass wardrobe.

3 comments:

  1. Niiicccccee. Oh, and speaking of he 80s, I recently found out that my PhD supervisor was in a long-term relationship (in the 80s) with the lead singer of Simply Red. Not surprising that we have bonded . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should read "speaking of THE 80s" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I am so freaking incredibly jealous of your shout-out that I don't think I we can be friends. (Just kidding! About the "friends" part...definitely not about the jealous part. I still am and will continue to be jealous of your infinite coolness...)

    Ahem. Second, I love your 80s looks! You know, the 80s is totally back in, right?! So, pretty much you are and always have been a rockstar. ;)

    ReplyDelete